If you haven’t heard of this challenge by now then you should know it’s so much fun! It was created by the blogger of Good Books, Good Wine and has really been causing me to think of how I run this here old book blog. Now, on to today’s challenge!
Day 13: Describe one underappreciated book EVERYONE should read
This one took some thought as I usually buy popular books just because my interest has been sparked from their promotion.
After some time however, I came up with Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen.
Some of you may say, “What? A classic as an underappreciated pick?” Yes, because surprisingly enough not many people have read it.
Northanger Abbey is often overshadowed by Jane Austen’s more popular woks: Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility and Emma. All of which are great novels but I felt that Northanger Abbey was right up there with them.
I believe it’s one of Austen’s funnier novels and actually one of her more realistic ones also. While I adore Elizabeth Bennett I related much more to Catherine Moreland. I’m not always witty and brave, I sometimes let my imagination get carried away and say the wrong things.
There’s even some slight mocking towards the Bronte sisters with their heavy gothic pieces.
Simply put, Northanger Abbey is just as fun a read as Pride and Prejudice and definitely deserves more attention.
Do you agree with my pick? What would you have chosen? Let me know by commenting below and happy reading!
- 5 reasons why Jane Austen is worth ‘noting’ (chwaraetegblog.wordpress.com)
- Jane Austen to be face of £10 note (bbc.co.uk)
- Northanger Abbey (theyearimademyownclothes.wordpress.com)
- You Have Bewitched Me, Body and Soul. (fountainpenhandwriting.wordpress.com)
- Review: What Matters in Jane Austen? by John Mullan (diaryofaneccentric.wordpress.com)
- Jane Austen (thiscrazytime.wordpress.com)
- 15 Day Book Blogger Challenge – Day 13 (unconventionalbookviews.com)
- One (Five) Underappreciated Book(s) Everyone Should Read! (delicateeternity.wordpress.com)
- 15 Day Book Blogger Challenge,Day 13- Underappreciated Books Everyone Should Read (chapterbreak.wordpress.com)