This challenge was created by the lovely blogger of Good Books, Good Wine. I can’t believe we are already a third into the challenge. But here we are whether I believe it or not and so on to today’s challenge.
Day 5: Recommend a tear jerker
An easy one today. I don’t particularly like to read ‘sad’ novels because countless authors think ‘sad’ means killing off a character you have come to love (Where the Red Fern Grows, I’m looking at you). I don’t appreciate it when the author’s purpose is to make the reader cry, that means the story lacks depth.
A tear jerker to me is a novel that explores the human condition, what it can take and what it can’t take. For this I have an excellent novel to recommend, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.
A Thousand Splendid Suns is a breathtaking story set against the volatile events of Afghanistan’s last thirty years, from the Soviet invasion to the reign of the Taliban to post-Taliban rebuilding, that puts the violence, fear, hope and faith of this country in intimate, human terms. It is a tale of two generations of characters brought jarringly together by the tragic sweep of war, where personal lives, the struggle to survive, raise a family, find happiness, are inextricable from the history playing out around them.
Propelled by the same storytelling instinct that made The Kite Runner a beloved classic, A Thousand Splendid Suns is at once a remarkable chronicle of three decades of Afghan history and a deeply moving account of family and friendship. It is a striking, heart wrenching novel of an unforgiving time, an unlikely friendship, and an indestructible love, a stunning accomplishment.
This story is so much more than a tear jerker, it’s a tale about the hardships of life, of women strong enough to face those hardships. Read it. Read it and tell me what you think. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
- A thousand splendid suns (peachgirl12.wordpress.com)
- Book Review: A Thousand Splendid Suns ( by Khaled Hosseini) (smithka164.wordpress.com)
- A Thousand Splendid Suns (myenglish101class.wordpress.com)
- “A Thousand Splendid Suns” Book Review by Ranu (sabethville.wordpress.com)
- Review: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (jennifercav.wordpress.com)
- 15 Day Book Blogger challenge: Tear jerkers (studentspyglass.com)
- 15 Day Book Blogger Challenge – Day 5 – Tear-jerker (unconventionalbookviews.com)
- 15 Day Book Blogger Challenge,Day 5-Recommend a Tear Jerker (chapterbreak.wordpress.com)
- Book Blogging Challenge Day 5: Tear Jerker Recommendation (playingjokers.wordpress.com)
- 15 Day Book Blogger Challenge | Day Five (Hosted by Good Books & Good Wine) (readinginwinter.com)